My belief for the lack of maps on quad is the expectations. On the front page, where the 10 holy commandments of eternal quadnation are, should be a node for content minimums. Actual stats, not just words like 'good' or 'bad'.
I've put together a short list of what I consider minimum. Only posting it to encourage other suggestions, otherwise just another useless post.
Just a suggestion, figured new players should have some extra help before they post other than the common dick comment of 'just go look at the other maps.'
Yes that's simple but I don't support it.
- at least 10k wtr
- at least 3 of all weapons
- at least 1 yellow and green armour
- at least 10 playerstarts
- at least 1 funny thing in map.
- "something thats not just boring old white" - suicizer
- proper sunlight/skylight ratios to ensure natural look
- light color and intensity should fit with environment. (desert theme:somewhat bright, slightly faded yellow.. snow theme:bright white with a hint of blue here and there, etc.)
- no extreme radius lights in the middle of the room, unless absolutely necessary. and even then, at least add a source, a hanging lamp or some shit.
- lightprecision no higher than 256.
- you should not hit the roof while jumping
- you should not hit doorways while jumping.
- playerstarts never face walls
- jumppads should always send you to destination, WITHOUT rifle/rocket jump. (float above jumppad and exit edit mode to test.)
- you have to work for the quad, make it hard to get but not too hard.
- healthboost should require at least some effort to get, whether it be a rifle jump or secret teleport, whatever. Just don't put it right out in the open.
- no dead ends, you can make it look like a dead end to confuse people, but at least have a way to get out of that situation if needed. (say, a walls a bit too tall, rifle jump to get up to it.)
- at least 3 forms of trick jumps in the map
- at least 3 entrances/exits per room
- add cover! nobody likes a nice wide open area to run through unprotected. Unless you happen to be that camper over on that cliff, then you love wide open areas ;)
- MAKE YOUR MAP SUPPORT MODES OTHER THAN INSTA, if you can't do this don't bother posting your map.
- I 100% support maps that have no texturing whatsoever, just make your geometry and post it. fuck it.
- Just kidding, the texturing of your map should fit with the theme.
- If you want to use a texture but feel it won't fit, make it fit.
- texture details so it's somewhat visible but not too distracting.
- don't just make that giant empty floor grass or brick. Use blendpaintmode and maybe add a dirt line around walls, or lightly bumpmap a spot and blendmap it to look like a pile of rocks or gravel, whatever it may be.
- and remember, use plenty of textures.
- be gentle with the mapmodels. ("oh but you spam a million trees on amazon" - oh there were way more, I deleted over half of them due to poor framerate.)
- do a /genpvs when you believe your map is ready, it's worth the wait.
- make your fog appropriate, color should fit map theme.
- don't post a map over 50k wtr without fog.
This is just my personal list of minimums, everyone has their own expectations. If I've missed anything, woops.
I would appreciate friendly feedback on this.